Thursday, September 13, 2012

post reading #2


Race like I said before is a very interesting topic, and one of the most diverse in the world. One cannot really put a definition on it because its more of a point of view or opinion than anything else. If I had to come up with a definition for race though it would have nothing to do with someones skin color, and something to do with where the persons family came from. When someone fills out a census that is one of the many questions they ask you and I have always asked myself why does it matter. When I think about it though Race is a group of people that share similar background, such as food, language, religious belief, and there ancestry. What I do not understand though is how can a color such as Black be a race. Black is a color and nothing more than that, when someone says African American though, that is a place where a person came from and has culture tied in it with the word. It describes two things, where your family is from and where someone lives at the moment. I also feel that when someone say race they are not really looking for something specific, but more of a general aspect. Ethnicity is a totally different subject though and I feel like that could be tied in with nationality. Nationality and ethnicity are the same thing in my opinion because when a person asks an individual what ethnicity they are I feel like it is more of there immediate background, such as where your mother and father are from and where your ancestors are from. I feel like there is not much of a difference between race and ethnicity, the only difference I feel like is the way the individual asks you when the question has come up. There are only two ways that it can be deceived though positively and negatively. Even if where you live is where your from, it also has to do with the feeling of acceptance that someone gets from the group of people. Like in the reading though even though he lived in America he did not like associating himself as American because he did not feel any cultural tie with the group of people. All these words come down to emotion and feeling though, because no matter we are still human and in order to belong one has to feel right about their culture.
WORD COUNT:412

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nelson,
    it makes a lot of sense that you find these terms somewhat challenging to define, we reviewed only some of the complexities in class this week! I would challenge you to think a little bit more if race and ethnicity are just views or opinions. In the next couple of weeks we are going to be looking at how these things play out on a more systematic and institutional level. Also, thanks for being so engaged in class week, I appreciate it!
    --eas

    ReplyDelete